We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The story of a myth
It is unlikely that it was Benjamin Franklin who invented the rocking chair. This jack of all trades is the father of many inventions but probably not rocking chair. Indeed, it is more plausible that the rocking chair was invented around 1725 in England.
It was manufactured for a long time before the German Michael Thonet discovered the technique of bending wood by heat. Thanks to this technique, the production of rocking chairs is industrialized. Production is intensifying and the rocking chair becomes more democratic. It became a piece of furniture present in many homes in the 1930s.
A timeless and reassuring piece of furniture
The rocking chair is one of these flagship pieces of American pop culture. Not a series comes to us from across the Atlantic without a protagonist relaxing on his rocking chair, on his porch.
It is a piece of furniture that also an emotional and reassuring dimension. It reminds us of our childhood memories thanks to its slight swaying.
The feeling of relaxation that one experiences once installed is the result of two very specific phenomena that act on the user. The first is the reminder of the rocking of the pram, which for infants or adults, soothes and slows the heartbeat, thus creating a feeling of relaxation. Relaxation is also due to a simple physical phenomenon: the seat automatically moves into a position where the person's center of gravity is aligned with the contact points, making it possible to limit the muscular efforts to maintain the body. No need to make an effort to swing. It's rest assured!
The rocking chair as a decorative element
Originally shaped in bentwood, like the Thonet bistro chair, it is now made of plastic or metal and exists in many versions.
We adapt it to all styles: contemporary or Asian, vintage or classic, romantic or ethnic. It's simple, the rocking chair can find its place in any interior!
To balance comfortably on your rocking chair, several solutions:
- in the living room to meet some friends or relax in front of a good movie
- in the bedroom : we put down our clothes and read a good book
- on the terrace to enjoy the sun or the end of the evenings in summer. Choose a wooden rocking chair, which is more resistant to climatic conditions.
All major brands and furniture brands offer rocking chairs. This will allow you to acquire a model at a very affordable price, while opting for a model with style.
The rocking chair revisited by the greatest designers
The rocking chair has inspired the greatest designers over the years. This is surely why it has become a timeless piece of furniture.
In the 1930s, the arrival of new materials such as fibers and resin shook up the world of design. This gives designers some ideas for coming to give a facelift to this rustic piece of furniture, often made of wood.
One of the first to imagine a new version of the rocking chair was Charles Eames. In 1948, he created the RAR model, a model still as trendy and coveted today. Will follow in particular:
- The JJ armchair by Antonio Citterio in 1966: distributed by B&B Italia, this rocking chair combines metal, wood and leather for a model very similar to classic rocking chairs. It was also reissued in 2005, to the delight of design lovers.
- Culbuto armchair by Marc Held in 1967 : distributed by Knoll, its 70's style makes the legs of the chair disappear and is replaced by a tilting support. The armchair mixes leather and a molded fiberglass shell.